11.19.2008

Why I love G & D























So, just some background. I have been trying to find a way into the RBMA now for 3 years. Two years I missed the deadline, the other year I was rejected... yes. Everyone loves a good rejection letter now and then. 2009 will be my year. Im getting in. Putting it out there in faith. Anyways, I was on the site looking for inspiration and being jealous of all of the past attendees, when I stumbled across a lecture by Georgia Anne Muldrow and Dudley Perkins. It is over an hour long, but if you have the time, some back to it and really listen. I know alot of people thought they were crazy and off topic, but I loved every minute of it. We need more people like this on the planet. Its all love! Show some! G & D

Took this from the site: "There's the next level and there's the level after that. Then, squinting down on both those levels through binoculars from some unfathomable point miles above, there is Georgia Anne Muldrow. Her first album Olesi: Fragments Of An Earth (Stones Throw, 2006) sounds like a classic soul record melted over a Salvador Dali tree branch. It's like she got her Roland TR-808 really high before starting to compose each and every song on the strange fruit salad of hip hop blues. Now combine the artist's beautifully ragged, sometimes Dilla-esque production sense with smart, surreal poetics and what you get is not just the freshest voice to emerge in the last decade of soul music."

No comments: